Chewy Gingerbread Bars!
**Note: If you would like to double this recipe, use a large jelly roll pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Allow the bars to cool, then frost and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
3/4 C butter, melted
1 C sugar
1/4 C molasses
2 C flour
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cloves
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese (half a brick), softened
2 T butter, softened
2 C powdered sugar
1 T milk
1/2 t vanilla
1. Pour the melted butter, sugar and molasses into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl. Beat until well combined.
2. Add the egg and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl toss together all of the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the mixer and beat, just until combined.
5. Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray and press the dough into it.
6. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, do not over bake. Stick a knife into the center of the bars. If it comes out clean...remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely. The bars will continue to cook a bit as they cool. Once frosted the bars will be put in the fridge for an hour...this will also help the bars to set up and not be too doughy.
7. Mix all frosting ingredients together in your stand mixer. Beat until nice and smooth.
8. Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled bars. Refrigerate for one hour, cut and serve!
Store leftover bars in the fridge, or freezer.