Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bacon Jam

(If the idea of Bacon Jam disgusts you, GO AWAY NOW. And never come back.)
Ok Guys.
I haven’t really posted in a while, probably because nothing to momentous has occurred of late.
UNTIL TODAY.
Today, I made Bacon Jam.
Bacon Jam.
Bacon. Jam.

What is Bacon Jam?
It’s Jam. Made of bacon.
Can you even FATHOM IT?
I couldn’t, when I saw the recipe on Pinterest. It freaked me out. I had to make it. But I hesitated, because what if it was a waste of 1 1/2 pounds of bacon!?
IT WAS NOT.
It started out looking like this.
IMG_2321
Then like this:
IMG_2334
IMG_2335
Then THIS!
IMG_2338
IMG_2337
And ended up tasting like this:
rage-guy-happy-face-tears-of-joy
What the heck. I’ll share the recipe. It came from Martha Stewart, because she is an evil crafting witch.

BACON JAM
  • 1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 medium yellow onions, diced small
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup brewed coffee (We are non-coffee-drinkers so I used Pero)
~ Other things I added:
  • 3 Tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
  • 1 Tablespoon Molasses (I did this because I only had light brown sugar and fake maple syrup) Next time I might even add more…

HOW TO MAKE:
  1. STEP 1
    In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.
  2. STEP 2
    Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped (I just used my immersion blender) Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.
It was surprisingly easy to make! The jalapenos were great in it and I recommend them, but you don’t have to do it. I am obsessed with those things though. There is always a jar in my fridge. Always.
IMG_2330
This post is dedicated to Kathy Lee Gifford.

4 comments:

BrookeJean said...

Thank you!! You just made figuring out a future Christmas/Father's Day/Birthday present for my dad sooo easy. I love it!

Emmy said...

I would be so down with this if it was called spread or dip. . WHY JAM!!!???

Unknown said...

@Emily, because its British!?!? Haha no clue. If there's bacon it it, that's good enough for me.

@Brooke, I too have Christmas gifts in mind. Now that I know how good it is, I can give the purest form of love I know- pig meat.

Jess Hammond said...

Hoda women! You are simply my Hero. Pass the wine, please!