Sunday, September 26, 2010

What’s for dinner?

So I know lots of people like to joke around that they married certain people for their cooking abilities. Well, I’m starting to think that there is way more truth to that then we’d maybe like to admit.

Well, seriously now. I have an amazing husband. Because of….many things. But more specifically, on any given night he can make me this:

IMG_7337

Thas right. Pad Thai.

The recipe will come to you on his own time (he has been more and more excited about posting recipes, I think) so for now just drool over the picture.

Yay! But what’s for dessert? Well don’t think I won’t leave our meal alone without some sort of reciprocation. In honor of my old roommate Gretchen (who recently became engaged…Gretchen wherever you are I hope you know your work on my wedding cake is legendary…someday I will be brave and venture your gateau basque…) And in honor of the beautiful fall harvest, (??) I made one of my favorite desserts:

apletorte

(Please, click on the picture and admire the work I put into photoshopping it to perfection. Ok, I’m not a pro at photoshop, but the torte was delicious!)

Bavarian Apple Torte!

CRUST:
1/2 cup soft butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla OR
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour

Mix and pat in bottom of greased 9 inch round pan.

FILLING:
8 ounces soft cream cheese
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip and spread over crust.

Top with:

3-4 cups grated or thinly sliced apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)


Cover and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes,  then turn heat down to 400, take off foil, and cook for another 25 minutes.  Guys! This is super easy! You don’t have to arrange the apples like I did. It will blow your mind with how delicious it is!



As you can imagine, this is enough food for more than just two of us. We really need to be better about inviting out friends for dinner.  I suppose having too much food is hardly a dilemma. However, we hate throwing food away. And this happens sometimes. So, who wants to come over?

1 comment:

Lily said...

I do, I do!! That torte looks AMAZING!!!!