Sunday, January 22, 2012

WHEN I USE ALL CAPS

A clue into my “blogger writing style”.

(A style that is by no means my formal writing style. I love writing formal essays. But I started a blog partly to improve my creative writing skills, which are, in my opinion, somewhat lacking.  Judge me as you will. Actually, don’t judge me. Please. I beg you.)

If I push that little caps lock button, this is probably what I am attempting to do:

1.) Create a sense of mild sarcasm

2.) Be obnoxious and over-the-top

3.) Be slightly insecure, but, at the same time,

4.) trying really hard to be candid and forthright

5.) Probably trying too hard

6.) Get your attention

7.) Express my exuberance.

 

Many people around the interwebs have expressed a general distaste for the excessive use of caps-locked writing. I am usually in agreement with them. I cannot really understand why a usually nice, calm, loving sounding grandma would think it’s funny to write something like this:

IT IS ONLY 32 IN SYRACUSE....IS THIS A JOKE? IS THIS REALLY WINTER? WE REALLY COULD PLANT FLOWERS IN THIS WEATHER HAHAHAH!!!!

…So this is why I try to refrain from using caps lock ad nauseum. But I still do it sometimes, from a lack of self-control.

 

SEE?!?!

 

When do you use caps-lock? Never? Good for you. Now get out.

1 comment:

E B said...

You're funny! Keep writing.