Monday, November 28, 2011

November 28th

 

The number of days in November dwindle!

I would be remiss to exclude one of the most important thankfuls, which is MUSIC!

It would take me way too long to go into depth about all my favorite artists. But just for fun, I give you a few samples, thanks to youtube.

 

 

I used to listen to the slavonic dances when I was 13-14 years old. I remember listening to them on my cd walkman on youth temple trips, like a total nerd.

 

Dvorak played a major role in my youth. I have no idea why.  I listened to the New World Symphony a lot.

I also listened to this piece a lot:

 

I think God knew how much I loved slavic composers, which is why he sent me to Ukraine. As a child, I had no idea what drew me to their music and art.

 

Candide has an energy that I enjoy.

I wanted to find a video of one of Gershwins preludes but it is difficult to find a proper one on youtube.

On calmer days I am a fan of Debussy.

 

Sometimes I am even a fan of Opera. If you don’t like opera, this is the only suggestion I would make to attempt to change your mind. My brother made the subtitles. Start at 1:43 if you are impatient.

 

SO before I bore you all to death with “classical” music (a genre widely misunderstood) I do have some contemporary favorites.

Coldplay recently released their new album, “Mylo Xyloto” – I have been obsessed with it for the past few weeks. I am slightly obsessed with Coldplay in general.

 

Another song by Coldplay is one of our ( Micah and I) very favorites. They’re astoundingly good at building to fantastic musical climaxes. In this song, I believe at 2:21 they are using a 7/8 time signature. I do not know of any other “pop” artist doing this in the past decade.

 

And as I have mentioned several times on this blog, we are huge fans of Paul Simon.

 

 

People, I have so so many more favorites. But this

will have to suffice for now.  I am so grateful for the companionship music provides me on a daily basis. Hope you enjoyed this little musical journey.

1 comment:

Eva said...

Hooray for Dvorak!